6.08.2005

I Bought Some Albums at Lunch

Today I bought some albums at lunch. They are: the White Stripes "Get Behind Me Satan" and the Go! Team "Thunder, Lightning, Strike".
I was worried, had some trepidation, brethren and sistren, about tha Stripez' new album on account of the Loretta Lynn influence ( + Rene too) on Jack White - it's not like these ladies are bad, in fact they are both very good at what they do, but I'm not so sure that I want what they do influencing how a rock band I like rocks out. Anyhow my fears have been alleviated as the disc sounds very nice indeed - a similar backward-looking aesthetic as with the latest from the Raveonettes, though the two don't really sound alike so much as feel alike.
And the Go! Team, man, lemme tell you about them - I'd read a lot about them sounding like Seasame Street but better, with a lot of Ennio Morricone, and then hip hop. That seems like an apt comparison. It really sounds like Belle & Sebastian locked Fannypack in a closet in the recording studio while they took breaks from making the happier part of the Storytelling soundtrack to make a demo to send to Damon Albarn in order to audition for the next Gorrillaz album (they didn't make the cut though).

No comments: